Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Birds of a feather


You guys know I'm a little obsessed with my monthly Birchbox. (It makes me feel like I'm getting free beauty supplies every month!) A few months ago, they threw a party in NYC at which guests got feathered - high-quality feathers in a range of colors applied to your hair like a hair extension! I was a little jealous. I want cool feathered hair.

Then a few weeks ago, I was tubing in West Virginia and I was insanely jealous of this preteen who had this awesome green feather in her hair! I was like, where did you get that done girl? (She seemed super flattered that I asked, so I didn't feel too creepy).

Anyway, since then, I've been toying with the idea of getting feathered. It's like getting a badass streak of pink in your hair (something I wanted to do when I was 12 and Gwen Stefani had neon hair), but less permanent.

Well, now I know where I can go in DC to get this done: one80 Salon (1275 K Street NW) is now offering the service using Featherlocks Feather Hair Extensions.

According to the salon, like hair extensions, Featherlocks can be washed, dried, flat-ironed or curled without damage. They'll stay in up to 3 weeks, but the actual extension lasts "forever" and can be repplied as many times as you want.


The only reason I haven't run out the door to get feathered is I'm just not really seeing how it's work-appropriate to have colorful feathers in your hair (unless of course you work at a salon or for an Indian tribe or something). However, a one80 stylist Jordan Pringle says that they can put the feathers in a more subtle location - at the nape of the neck - to show only when you want them to be scene - and you can use more neutral colors. If you want to go big (or go home), you can get orange or blue near the crown of your head.

Is this a hair trend you'll try?

No comments:

Post a Comment