Friday, October 15, 2010

You've got a point

Yesterday, I posted a picture of Alexa Chung in her fabulous Burberry trench during Paris Fashion Week. I thought she looked stylish and chic in some of this season's must-have Valentino shoes.

Chung sans trench (Credit: Styleite)

However, Styleite questioned her sartorial decision, saying pointy toe flats make everyone look "dowdy."

As someone who wears pointy toe flats when heels aren't cutting it comfort-wise (or heels make me just a teensy bit too tall for the fiance's comfort), I disagree. I wouldn't be too concerned about look dowdy. In fact, I'd be most concerned about looking witchy!

Most girls go-to flat is a round-toe ballet flat, often with a bit of stretch in the heel, like a Tory Burch Reva or Matt Bernson Waverly. But sometimes, these ballet flats can make a calf look extra shapely or make an otherwise dressy outfit look too casual.

So this is where a pointy-toe flat enters the picture. It's less Saturday shopping and more Tuesday night happy hour hopping. It's a little retro and a little rock.

Worried about the witch effect? Stay away from anything TOO pointy. Anything that extends much further than 1-1.5 inches past your toes is too far.

Xhilaration Salema zipper flat, available at Target: $19.99


SE Boutique Inga flat, available at DSW: $49.95

Elizabeth and James Jane pointy toe flat, available at Shopbop: $275
Tibi Misha flat, available at endless.com: $308.95

Johnston and Murphy Victoria studded flat: $138

Stuart Weitzman python skimmer, available at footnotesonline: $99

1 comment:

  1. I love the examples you chose! I did not like Alexa's and I'm not always a big fan of the pointed toe flats, but I am actually considering the ones you found. I'm with you with the comfort/height issues with heels... You have changed my mind about the trend.

    ReplyDelete