Saturday, September 11, 2010

Socksual heeling

Socks with skirts aren't just for school girls. Though I have yet to try it out, I'm really getting behind the trend of wearing socks with heels. I even like the look with sandals.

Jane Aldridge of Sea of Shoes recently showcased some of her amazing shoe collection while wearing socks and featured Miu Miu's spring 2010 Mary Jane platforms. I think this shows how wearable the look really is.

Credit: Sea of Shoes


InStyle commented on the trend back in April, featuring Rihanna and Leighton Meester wearing socks with their cocktail-style mini dresses.

Credit: InStyle

I think the socks+heels look works all the time. You could wear it to work with some stylish cropped pants or a wool skirt. I also love it for the weekend with boyfriend jeans. To me, the look really works with an slouchier edgy-preppy style. Think J. Crew or Burberry. But obviously, Rihanna and Leighton make the look dressier, and it works just as well.

If you're looking to try wearing socks with heels, but a bit nervous (I always get nervous before venturing into uncharted fashion terrtory), start small and simple. To pull it off, I recommend wearing a simpler heel or platform sandal (one neutral, solid color) with a thinner sleek sock.

Some disclaimers: I don't think this is a look for everyone - particularly if you have shapelier or bigger calves. Avoid super chunky socks. And don't under any circumstance think this justifies wearing socks with any of the following: Adidas sports sandals, Tevas (two looks that should be avoided in general) and basically any flat sandal.

Socks and sandals done right:

Credit: Style Sightings


And done wrong:



Want to try out the trend? You can pick up some socks in a variety of colors at J. Crew for $9.50.

J. Crew trouser socks

1 comment:

  1. This is a look I utterly love... on other people. On me, it looks as though I got dressed in the dark and was trying to baby a blister or something. Dreadful. Also in a city like DC I think I would get a ton of weird looks - this city is always a bit behind and fearful of the latest trends!

    ReplyDelete