Thursday, September 30, 2010

#Fightbreastcancer TODAY

Credit: 69-seconds.org


Did you know that every 69 seconds, a woman dies of breast cancer someone in the world? That's how long I waited for the metro this morning. That's the time it takes to reply to an email, make a reservation on OpenTable or download a song on iTunes. That's the time it took for me to write this sentence. And that's all the time it takes for you to be a part of the fight against breast cancer.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure(R), an organization that leads the global crusade against this terrible disease, kicks off Breast Cancer Awareness Month with a worldwide effort to mobilize the online community and break the Guinness World Record for Most Widespread Social Network Message in 24 Hours.

Today, I am encouraging you to take action against breast cancer in the easiest way possible: using social media. Here's how you can help:

  • Tweet using the hashtag #fightbreastcancer.
  • Visit www.69-seconds.org to learn more about the global breast cancer crisis and to take action.
  • If your Facebook posts are public, update your status to show your support for Komen and its efforts to #fightbreastcancer. If your Facebook posts are private, consider making them public for the day so they can count toward the Guinness World Record.

It costs nothing, but it's worth so much.

Although I have been involved with Susan G. Komen for years - in college and beyond - breast cancer had not affected me too deeply. Though I know people who have survived early stage or postmenopausal cancer, it was never a frightening beast always looming over my shoulder. I was happy to help fight it, but the cause wasn't personal.

This year, though, I learned one of my best friends Liz tested positive for BRCA, a hereditary gene that is linked to increased instances of breast and ovarian cancer. And I've seen a powerful voice in DC's online community, CityGirlBlogs, through her cancer diagnosis and initial chemo treatment on her amazing and brave blog.

Komen always argues that breast cancer affects everyone - even those who don't have the disease. And now I know. So it would mean a lot to me if you could spare your 69 seconds to #fightbreastcancer today. Besides, don't you want to be part of breaking a GUINNESS WORLD RECORD? I know I do. 

Thanks so much! And stay tuned, because I will have big news coming up later this week on more ways you can help #fightbreastcancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment