Friday, September 3, 2010

Foodie Fashionista: Savvy Eating for the Labor Day Weekend

I love food! I've been more conscientious of what I eat as I prepare for my wedding (and so I can look fabulous in all the clothes I covet), but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy a delicious meal as much as the next girl.


Labor Day is summer's last hurrah! There's no better way to toast the end of summer than with a delicious burger, fries and a cool drink in hand. But, of course, I put a healthy twist on them so I can enjoy them sans remorse.


Thanks to Weight Watchers and Health for the delicious ideas, upon which I put my own spin.


Feta-Stuffed Chicken Burgers
(serves four)


For a delicious twist on your standard burger, make this Greek-inspired burger for the weekend. Chicken is super moist, so you don't need too much additional moisture to make it delicious. Mayonnaise is totally optional with these guys, but if you're like me and need some on your bun, Hellman's has fat-free mayo that's delish!


1 lb uncooked ground chicken breast
3/4 tbsp fresh oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp chili powder
8 tbsp fat-free or reduced fat feta, crumbled
4 light hamburger rolls
4 tsp light mayonnaise (if you like)
1 cup of lettuce
2/3 cup roasted red papers, sliced (without oil)


1. Preheat grill (or broiler).
2. In a medium bowl, combine chicken, oregano, garlic powder, chili powder and feta; divide mixture into four balls and then form them in patties.
3. Grill or broil patties until internal temperature of burgers reaches 165°F, about 8 minutes per side.'
4. Serve each burger on a bun with 1/4 of lettuce, 1/4 of peppers and 1 tsp of mayo as desired.


Zucchini Fries
(serves four)


I love zucchini! It's my favorite vegetable. Use this recipe to cook them in a totally unique way - but each serving has only about 100 calories! Amazing.


Cooking spray (olive oil kind tastes best with this recipe)
1 1/2 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tsp table salt
3/4 cup dried Italian Seasoned bread crumbs (I like Ian's)
2 medium zucchini, about 7-inches each, cut into 4 chunks, then each chunk halved
2 large egg whites


1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil, then coat with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, mix together flour and salt. Place bread crumbs in another small bowl, and egg whites in a third.
3. Dredge zucchini fry in flour mixture, then egg whites, then bread crumbs. Place coated zucchini on baking sheet. Repeat for all fries.
4. Roast, turning once, until desired crispness, about 12 minutes. You'll get about 8 fries per serving.


You can also use this with summer squash, yellow squash, onions or eggplant for a tasty, veggie treat. If you like your fries extra crispy, cook them at 500°F but for only 10 minutes.


But what would Labor Day be without cocktails or beer? I am a huge fan of Bud Light Select, which has only 55 calories per bottle. You don't lose much of the flavor, and they don't skimp on the alcohol content.


If you're a cocktail kind of person, Health has some awesome-looking recipes for low-cal margaritas, including Bethenny Frankel's delicious recipe! If you try the other recipes this weekend, let me know how they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment