Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Fall Must Haves: Booties, booties, and more booties

Ankle booties have been trendy for a couple years now. When I bought my first pair a few winters ago, I did not want to spend much because I figured they would be a one-season trend. Now, I can't get enough of them - and neither can anyone else.

Almost everyone can pull off ankle boots, as long as you can find a pair you love. The important thing when buying booties is to be aware of the stumpifying effect. You don't want to shorten your legs or make them look wider than they are. You can mitigate this by being selective with the color (nude will lengthen, or you can wear black booties with black tights); being mindful of the rule of thirds (so avoid anything that will chop you up, including cropped pants or leggings, or that will accentuate a shapelier calf, like a fitted pencil skirt); and wearing a low-slung ankle bootie (one that doesn't cover your ankle).

Because of the endurance of this trend, you can find booties in almost any color and style. The big trend now is an open toe bootie; another addition to the bootie scene is the lace-up bootie (which I must admit isn't my favorite look). You can see/buy some of my favorite booties for the season below. I just bought the Charles by Charles David, but I would add any of these to my wardrobe.

Charles by Charles David at 6pm.com: $62.50
Zara (available in stores): $99.50
Elizabeth and James (also in black), available at Nordstrom: $375
Ash bootie, available at Shopbop: $200
Target studded bootie: $39.99

No comments:

Post a Comment